Digitizing Roco 43012 - Gear Cleaning


Before I replace the motor, I need to make sure that the mechanical part of BR601 works well. Since the starting voltage is quite high, I decided to give the gears a thorough cleaning. To do that I need to strip down the locomotive to the bare chassis.

I loosely set the new motor from SB Modellbau into the motor cavity and ran it with DC. Starting voltage was 4-5V. Definitely too high, which means that the gears are not running smoothly.


I pulled out all the gears from the lead truck and set them aside.


Ah yes, here's the problem. The gear tower is all gunked up.


Everything got a thorough cleaning with soapy water. Rinse and repeat for the trailing truck.
After putting it all back together and applying light lubrication, starting voltage is around 2.5V. Progress.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snoqualmie Falls Hydropower Museum

Sunday: Kandersteg